Skip to main content

Piano and Guitar duet v.2 - realisation

It's been two months between deciding the system I'd use for this duet, and actually implementing it. Inevitably a few things have shifted, but it's essentially the same as described in the first post here.

Part of the delay was laziness about transferring the stream of numbers into notes on Sibelius, which it turns out was solved easily by using the 'seq' object in Max to turn the stream of numbers into a midi file, which could then be opened in Sibelius. Easy!

The other delay was in trying to work out how the notation would work to (a) allow the guitar and piano to be together but drift apart at times, and (b) still allow the ensemble to play over the duet without requiring the guitar/piano players follow the conductor too strictly. The delay was one of those situations where I decided to just let me brain work on it without me (mulling it over sometimes without actually thinking about it too hard), and then some helpful chats with other composers made it fall into place.

I also had to figure out how to generate the drifts between the two instruments. In the end I took the generated stream of numbers and colour-coded it to easily show the head motif—pitches 5, 9, 15, 19, 23, which equals E, G#, D, F#, A#: in Ex.1 the head proceeds from darker to lighter shades of orange, non-motif pitches are white—then anywhere there was a partial version of the head I would double it with a complete version. The pink section in ex.1 shows a very incomplete motif in the upper line against a complete one in the lower line. In the score, these two would either literally overlap (one instrument plays the complete version while the other plays the drifted version) or hybridise the lines by working some of the drifted notes into the complete motif.

In hindsight, I could have then started overlapping incomplete (already drifted) versions of the motif against even more drifted versions to take this further, maybe I'll do that later...

Ex.1: overlapping the head motif to create drifts.

In the actual realisation, I take more intuitive approach, taking the longer drift sections and sometimes lining them up against more complete motifs, but sometimes distributing the notes differently, transferring some from one instrument into the other. See ex.2, and more significant drifting shown in ex.3.
Ex.2: showing transformation from generated stream of notes (bottom stave) to guitar/piano.

Ex.3 more significant drifts from the original motif.
Guitarists may be scratching their heads at the harmonics, but the guitar is in a scordatura tuning (E, G#, D, F#, A#, E) to allow the head motif to be played as 12th-fret harmonics.

Commentary notes:

While the system generated the sequence of notes (from a carefully tweaked algorithm), there is a lot of intuition in how this section unfolds. Many of the drifting sequences are distributed between guitar and piano in a highly unsystematic way, focussing on particular harmonies or timbres etc, but always in direct response to what I'm presented with. at that moment.


Popular posts from this blog

Finished Piece (v.1...)

The concert is on May 4th, so at some point I had to finalise the piece, though I could keep tinkering forever. Here's the full score as of 12/4/18, there will still be some minor changes I imagine; some things need tidying up, and at the moment it's missing performance instructions (most of which are in the score, but an instruction sheet will be added. Here's the structure of the piece:

bb.1–33 Opening Full ensemble contrasts material presented in two forms; static chords (reeds/brass/perc/cello), and falling “scales” (flutes/pno/gtr). technique: Magic square, randomness.
Links:Opening Section + Magic Squares 34–71 Saxophone & Percussion duet Improvised duet of sax multiphonics and bowed-cymbal harmonics. Ensemble plays Feldman-like gentle background of overlapping melodies and soft noise. technique: Magic square. Links: generating ensemble part. 72–115 Guitar & Piano duet Guitar and piano play almost together, pushing/pulling each other, the ensemble play sp…

cello solo v1

Cello solo v1 The cello solo will use my prepared cello: not a million miles from a prepared piano as mentioned in previous blog post. The preparations make pitch quite indeterminate, so rather than generate a stream of pitches (like for the guitar/piano) what I wanted to generate was essentially a tablature score for the cellist to create a stream of actions that would limit the indeterminate pitches in different ways to create loose patterns. Tablature notation differs from standard notation be being more about telling the player what do (what actions to carry out, where to put fingers etc.) rather than what sound/note to make. It can be especially useful in situations where the specific pitch result is indeterminate so instead the notation deals with timing, positions etc. See Aaron Cassidy's scores and writings on this as a good example. Below is a page of his solo for any bowed-string instrument, with staves for: (top) fingerings and bowing on the four strings; (middle) fing…

Opening Section + Magic Squares

This section has no solos, it's a simple contrast of two strata: (1) descending rapid scales, and (2) sustained chords swelling and receding. Listen to the opening page (score below) here:
If you cannot see the audio controls, your browser does not support the audio element

The pitches for both are derived from the magic square. The chords are most straightforward, they simply read the horizontals of the square as 6-note chords. The piece starts with the uppermost vertical (the main material + high G), and works its way down.